Any individual or non-profit organization may petition the club for a contribution for any purpose. Requests should be made in writing to the President before the monthly Board meeting. All requests will be taken before the Board, which will then make a recommendation for or against approval to be taken before the entire membership at the regular monthly business meeting.
At the beginning of each fiscal year, the club budgets a set amount, usually in the area of $250 per quarter, to deal with special contribution requests that are beyond the major donations that are line-itemed in the annual budget.
In general, the Club considers the following as priority for favorable consideration:
- Youth programs, especially those involving education
- Drug and alcohol abuse programs
- Programs that benefit a large number of individuals in the community, rather than one or two with a special interest.
- Programs where there is a critical, immediate need
- Programs where the level of investment by Rotary can really make a difference.
In general, the Club discourages:
- Solicitations from other service groups
- General solicitations (such as United Way, Heart Assn., etc.) where the donation is “mixed” with other donations and Rotary’s contribution is “lost”